Stand Up Paddling has many disciplines and one of the best is downwind paddling. The Columbia River Gorge provides one of the best locations to downwind in the world. Now you get to experience it with the best downwinder in the world Dave Kalama. Our home base during the camp with be in Hood River, which is a picturesque mountain town located directly on the Columbia River Gorge. The Kamp will take place the week before the Columbia River Gorge Challenge, so you will be able to hone your skills if you are competing in the event.
• Equipment designed for the downwind conditions of the Gorge
• Hotel accommodations at Hood River Inn
• All meals provided
• Daily transportation to/ from Hood River Inn
• World class instruction from Dave Kalama, John Denney and Brody Welte
Kalama Kamp accommodations will be at The Hood River Inn which is a unique Hood River hotel on the Columbia River shoreline, convenient to nearby attractions and recreational opportunities in the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood area. Come experience some of the best downwinding conditions with the downwinding legend Dave Kalama.
"I have caught some of my longest glides at the Gorge. This is one of the top spots in the world for downwinding"
Kalama Kamp is excited to go back to visit our friends at Big Blue Unlimited in Turks and Caicos.(www.bigblueunlimited.com) We have fun last time surfing, downwinding, paddling under a full moon and exploring the islands. Turks and Caicos is a group of islands that has the Caribbean on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other. The island offer a variety of paddling experiences and a fun setting staying at Club Med. The crystal clear blue waters are some of the best in the world to paddle.
• Daily transportation to/ from Club Med to/ from Big Blue
• A selection of stand up paddleboards, paddles, hydration packs and leashes
• Boat support where needed (ie on the waves/ reef, for down winders and "backcountry" safaris
• Hotel accommodations at Club Med
• All meals provided
Kalama Kamp accommodations will be at Club Med Turkoise. A breathtaking resort designed with a panoramic view of the talcum-soft sand and clear turquoise waters of one of the most gorgeous beaches on the globe. We have partnered Big Blue Unlimited for the Kamp which has continued to set the standards in adventure in the Turks & Caicos Islands.
"Philip and the gang at Big Blue provides a tremendous experience of the beautiful islands of Turks and Caicos. We are always excited to come back to the islands where there is so much to offer."
It is difficult to put into words the experience of taking a 45 minute boat ride to small island surrounded by world class surf breaks and pristine blue waters to our destination of Namotu. Our Namotu trip has quickly become our most popular trip and we can understand why. We will have the entire island to ourselves to be able to experience the best surf, great fishing and one of the most friendly cultures in the world. Our main focus will be SUP surfing but we always have time for downwinding and exploring the Fijian coast.
• All equipment: Board, paddle, leash, snorkeling gear etc.
• Airfare from either LAX or Honolulu
• All ground and water transportation on Fiji
• Fishing, snorkeling, Eco hikes and trips to other islands
• SUP Instruction including surfing from Dave and the team
• Alcohol is not included in price but available.
A two person room with two separate beds and shower. This room must be booked as a pair (i.e. wife/husband, two friends etc.)
Cost: $4950 each person
Deposit: $1000 ($500 for each person) Must be booked as a pair.
A six person room with individual beds and shower.
Stand Up Paddling has many disciplines and one of the best is downwind paddling. The Maliko Run on the North Shore of Maui is the gold standard when it comes to downwinding. Dave is excited to share his home waters with the world and let people experience downwinding on Maui.
• 4 Days/3 Nights
• Beach Workout
• Individual Technique
• Paddling Drills
• Transportation for All Downwind Runs
• Equipment Designed for the Downwind Conditions
• Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks
• Q+A Along with Hang Out Time with Dave
• Maximum 10 People per Kamp
Costs: Will be announced at the end of 2013.
**Disclaimer** This is not a surfing camp. We will not be doing any surfing during the camp. You are welcome to stay longer or arrive earlier if you would like to surf on your own.
I spent my entire professional life of 40 years as an educator and supervisor and I can say without hesitation that I would rate Kalama Kamp an A+ as teachers and facilitators. Having been a surfer for 50 years I have to say that this was the best trip I ever took. It was well worth the price of admission. Going to Kalama Kamp is a "must go on trip" for all skill levels.
2012 Turks & Caicos Kamper